Sunday 24 November 2019

La Rochelle

          I come to you today with a post about La Rochelle. I will tell you quite briefly about this city, which you know for certain from history, whether in high school or from our beloved subject "History of France". 😅 La Rochelle, Richelieu, Siege of La Rochelle - these are three associations that connect with each other and you probably associate this city with it. And if it is not certain now, when I show you a painting by Henri Motte, showing just the Siege of La Rochelle, everything will remind you:
Siege of La Rochelle 1881 Henri Motte.png
And what? Do you know what city I'll write about today? I hope so, so let's get to the point for not to write a long dissertation 😇
          As you know from last semester, I lived in France when I was a child, so I don't associate this city with history, but beware ... with fireworks. Yes, with fireworks on the occasion of July 14 - Bastille Day. I was on it twice, once with my grandparents and the next year I was with my parents - I will tell you so - I have never seen such an event in my life. It is a city that is currently famous for the entire department and the surrounding area with these fireworks. Probably each of you has already seen fireworks in your life, but I thought these 12 years ago that there are the most beautiful fireworks in the world, haha. See for yourself and jugde it:
Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania fireworks la rochelle
          Getting to the point, to the place, monuments worth visiting, I immediately say that the pictures are from the internet, because oddly enough - until I saw the pictures on the Internet from La Rochelle I did not associate it with these monuments, but when I saw them I recognized it "I was here!". The first obligatory aspect to highlight is that this city is somewhat a remnant of old La Rochelle from even the Middle Ages, and not to mention the times of  Richelieu (1628). The first point on the tour plan is the city fortifications, i.e. the Saint-Nicolas Tower, the Tower of the Lantern and The Tower of the Chain which are located in the old harbour. They are majestically great. They make an impression on man.
Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania la rochelle what to see saint nicolas
These are three towers located on the sea side of La Rochelle and were in the forteenth / fifteenth century perhaps a lookout.
The next point worth seeing is the City Gate of La Rochelle, called "City Gate of Grosse Horloge". Hmm, you wonder why Grosse Horloge? Simple. It has a big clock at the top, hahaha.
Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania Brama miejska Grosse Horloge la rochelleZnalezione obrazy dla zapytania Brama miejska Grosse Horloge la rochelle
Then we have the town hall. It is difficult to capture it in photos because it is enormous, and it cannot be captured in one frame. I could add you and add these photos of this city hall to show it in all its glory, however, I would have to add these photos probably about 30, because every inch of this building is worth photographing.
Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania hotel de ville la rochelleZnalezione obrazy dla zapytania hotel de ville la rochelle
La Rochelle has numerous museums to explore, like natural history, etc. In addition, you can visit many remains of defensive walls as well as churches. I will mention here some names of cathedrals and I will post pictures without describing them, because this post would leave a huge dissertation about La Rochelle and that's not the point, haha. See these photos yourself and rate if you would like to see them live 😎
1) St. Louis Cathedral
2) Saint-Sauveur Cathedral
Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania cathedral Saint-Sauveur la rochelleZnalezione obrazy dla zapytania cathedral Saint-Sauveur la rochelle
3) Notres-Dame-de-Cougnes Cathedral
Clocher de l'église Notre-Dame-de-Cougnes
          At the end, many people who come to La Rochelle combine this with a trip to the island of Ile-de-Re, because these two places are relatively close. And the culmination of a trip to La Rochelle can be seeing Fort Boyard from the beach - fortification on the ocean. Finally, I will add a picture of this Fort. Doesn't he impress you?
Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania fort boyardZnalezione obrazy dla zapytania fort boyard
          To sum up quickly, I think this is another place worth visiting. Today's post is very long, but in the rematch the next post will be short because it is more of a memory for me than recommending you to see any monuments. In this place I say goodbye, until next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment